This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on April 23, 2023. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Essential functions: We are looking for a Media & Democracy Program Director to lead our Media and Democracy team at Common Cause, to build strategic, multi-year campaigns to fight disinformation and advance critical reforms for a more open and accessible media ecosystem, supporting our overall mission to build a stronger democracy.
The Media & Democracy Program Director will advance reforms at the federal and state level by engaging and influencing policymakers (including Congress, the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and others), educating the public, working with civil rights and internet rights advocates, and amplifying voices to support a democratized media ecosystem.
Our core campaigns focus on:
- Universal and affordable internet access
- Defending an open internet (including Net Neutrality)
- Embedding equity in media ecosystem by advancing diverse and independent media ownership
- Fighting disinformation and holding social media platforms accountable
This is a unique opportunity for someone who has a deep understanding of the current political and corporate landscape in this area to make a significant impact on the future of media and democracy.
Set a vision for and execute strategic, multi-year campaigns to advance Common Cause’s media and democracy programmatic goals:
- Collaborate with Common Cause state chapters and partners to promote state-level policies and campaigns
- Develop Common Cause positions on telecommunications, media, and technology policies through research and analysis of existing and pending laws and regulatory proposals
- Advocate and lobby for our position with staff members of Congress, FCC, FTC, and other regulatory bodies
- Manage, lead and participate with our external coalition partners to develop collaborative strategies to execute strong campaigns, ensuring that marginalized communities’ voices are engaged and elevated
- In collaboration with our campaign, digital, and communications staff, produce and deliver key written and oral communications to promote our policy positions, including pleadings in administrative proceedings; policy briefs and reports; testimony for congressional and state legislative hearings; educational materials for federal and state policymakers; op-eds; press releases; editorial board and press briefings; interviews; and panel presentations.
- Organize events to engage targeted constituencies (activists, community leaders, academics, media, policymakers, members of the public, etc.) to promote a more open and accessible media ecosystem.
Fundraise to support the programmatic work:
- Work closely with the Development department to ensure alignment of program strategy with development activities.
- Liaise with foundation officers and major donors on Common Cause’s work, value, and expertise.
- Assist with proposals, grant reports, and other products to maintain and grow the organization’s effectiveness and solvency.
Manage and support the Media & Democracy team
- Manage and support the development of the members of the Media & Democracy Team
- Manage the budget for the Media & Democracy team.
- Ensure that grant deliverables are met.
- Juris Doctorate degree, or similar experience (public policy, law, related fields)
- Deep knowledge of policy related to media, telecommunications, and communications technology, and familiarity with issues related to our core campaign priorities.
- Experience creating policy documents, opinion pieces and other materials for a wide range of audiences.
- Experience building and managing strategic and effective advocacy campaigns.
- Experience managing staff.
- Experience leading projects and coalitions with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to be in or travel to DC 10-15 times per year.
- Preferred, not required: experience advocating before Congress, FCC, FTC, and/or other federal or state regulatory bodies on technology policy.
You will thrive in this role if you have:
- Commitment to Common Cause’s mission and to advancing racial equity through our democracy agenda.
- A demonstrated passion for media and communications technology policy, and a commitment to advancing policies that make our communications systems more open, accessible, and accountable.
- A track record of successfully working in collaboration with multiple and diverse groups of stakeholders, in particular in decision-making and to achieve goals.
- A track record of successful legislation campaigns.
- Ability to manage multiple, long-term priorities at once, and a high attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.