The Trust & Safety Professional Association (TSPA) is a 501(c)(6) non-partisan organization that supports the global community of professionals who develop and enforce principles and policies that define acceptable behavior and content online. We support trust and safety practitioners who do critically important work for the health of the Internet and society through networking, educational programming, and developing resources that benefit the trust and safety profession.
Being a part of the TSPA team gives you the opportunity to create and shape the organization that will enable trust and safety practitioners to navigate and overcome professional challenges, supporting them as they continue doing critically important work for the health of the Internet and society at large.
We currently have one position open.
Events and Communications Manager
About the Position
The Events and Communications Manager will be tasked with managing TSPA and TSF’s event coordination and communications needs. As a membership organization, TSPA hosts a variety of events for its members, as well as runs a variety of programming for the benefit of its members and the broader trust and safety community. We are looking for someone with creativity, organizational skills, and vision to help plan our in-person and virtual events. Additionally, as part of this role, the Events and Communications Manager will also be responsible for managing TSPA and TSF’s communications, including its digital platforms (website, social media, email, newsletters, and other dissemination tools).
- Plan and facilitate logistics for all events, including developing timelines and budget, contract negotiations, guest lists, venue preparation, catering, entertainment, transportation, equipment, decor, and marketing materials.
- Organize and manage at least 3-4 virtual events each month.
- Organize and manage at least 1 in-person event each month. (Note that in-person events will mostly be organized remotely.)
- Lead the planning of TSPA’s annual global conference, TrustCon, and TSF’s annual research conference.
- Coordinate with a variety of stakeholders, including members, attendees, speakers, vendors, volunteers, and partners.
- Plan and manage TSPA and TSF’s event calendars.
- Develop and lead TSPA and TSF’s overall digital strategy, including content planning for TSPA and TSF’s various communication channels (social media, websites, email, etc.).
- Respond to general emails and inquiries from members and stakeholders.
- Draft and send out TSPA’s two monthly newsletters.
- Create content and post on TSPA social media channels about events and TSPA activities.
- Update TSPA and TSF’s websites.
- Create and update marketing materials, including pitch materials, membership resources, and other marketing collateral as needed.
A successful candidate should have the ability to effectively work with a variety of organizations, management levels, cultures, and personalities. Because we all work remotely, we will need someone who can work independently, with minimal supervision, but – because of the role – interact closely and collaboratively with the team. This position may include some travel, but this can be minimal depending on the needs of the person who’s hired.
Demonstrate experience and skill in the following areas:
- 5-6+ years of experience in event planning, with a desire for someone with experience organizing various types of events, from small meetings, to social events, to conferences; and for someone experienced in planning events in various locations.
- 5-6+ years of experience in nonprofit or member-based organization communications. Experience in strategic communications (event planning, public relations, nonprofit or member-based organizational communications) will be highly valued.
- Experience in various event planning tools, such as Eventbrite, Zoom, Google Meet, etc.
- Experience in WordPress, various social media platforms, Mailchimp.
- Experience in a modern work environment (proficiency in email communication, social media, website writing, etc.) communicating with a wide range of partners and individuals from different background, geographic locations.
- Experience in graphics design, video editing, and/or developing creative marketing material is highly desirable.
For someone to thrive in this role, they will have the following strengths:
- Resourcefulness and a problem solver – proactively solve problems and able to learn and apply new information and knowledge.
- Strong communication skills – effective written and oral communication skills, including interpersonal skills and the ability to foster a team-oriented, inclusive work environment.
- Organizational and project management skills – strong organizational skills, sharp attention to detail, and persistence and accuracy in seeing projects through to completion.
- Critical thinking and analysis – ability to accurately analyze information and exercise appropriate judgment.
- Work independently – ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks independently with minimal supervision; effectively manage and shift priorities and meet deadlines.
- Work collaboratively – successfully working in teams, both internally with team members and externally with members and partners.
- Flexible and time management – ability to prioritize multiple and different tasks and be comfortable with ambiguity.
Skills that will help someone in this role, but are not required:
- Experience with community building, relationship management, or a membership-based constituency.
- Experience in or knowledge of the trust and safety field.
- Experience working with a global community.
- Fluency in another language.
Preference will be given to candidates in the United States.
Compensation and Benefits
The annual salary for this position starts at $90,000 USD. TSPA also offers medical, dental and vision insurance. This is a remote position, with a flexible work schedule.
TSPA is committed to a diverse work environment. We encourage applicants of all race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status to apply.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. Application deadline is June 30, 2022.