This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on January 12, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Do you consider yourself a self-directed person? Are you comfortable articulating your opinions and backing them up? Yelp’s Content Moderation team evaluates reviews, photos, and other information about businesses to determine whether these posts meet our guidelines. By removing posts that are clouded with conflicts of interest, spam, and other abuse, we ensure that everyone who uses Yelp is finding helpful information about local businesses that will guide them to making informed decisions. We also coach the people impacted by our moderation decisions towards constructive participation on Yelp.
In this role, you’ll read the stories of many different people, and you’ll need to sympathize with their perspectives while maintaining the emotional distance and neutrality that’s necessary to fairly adjudicate disputes. You’ll also need to read between the lines of their stories and “trust, but verify” that they meet our standards— skepticism is sometimes necessary to get to the right resolution.
Much of our work is self-directed, so you’ll need to be an effective manager of your own time to meet your weekly target of case resolutions, but also know when to escalate more complicated cases for discussion with your teammates. You should be comfortable and articulate when sharing your opinions (and backing them up), open to other opinions and constructive feedback, and ready to work as a team to build consensus. A unified approach to enforcement is one of the key ways we help to maintain the trust of Yelp’s community, and we value diverse opinions and experience on our team as much as in the reviews we evaluate.
Want to learn more? Check out the following resources:
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- You will moderate content (including reviews, photos and profiles) reported by users and business owners
- You will apply team policies and guidelines and message users effectively regarding our decisions
- You will provide feedback to managers on possible improvements of processes
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- You are enthusiastic about Yelp’s mission
- You have at least 1 year of work experience
- You have a positive, team-oriented attitude even when focusing on your own work
- You have strong research skills
- You are comfortable with (or open to) a quota driven environment