This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on January 4, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
At Canva, we empower the world to design. People only create in places they trust, and the Trust & Safety (T&S) Group’s vision is that Canva is the world’s most trusted platform for safe design. In our mission to safeguard our community, we work with a lot of efforts to prevent and mitigate incidents that could compromise the trust people have in Canva, from adult content to child abuse material, misinformation to hate speech, phishing, spam, bots, account takeovers, and other abuse vectors.
Abusive content and behaviour is not only directly against our values, it hurts our business as well. We create crucial detection, review, and moderation services to understand and address Canva’s complex and changing world. Some of the biggest changes we need to address are the continuously growing international user base, content and usage types, new features, regulatory requirements, and evolving abuse vectors.
About the role
The position requires leadership and mentoring skills, experience in Trust & Safety (T&S) / abuse mitigation operations, high attention to detail, and the ability to problem solve and influence a product roadmap to continue improving our T&S tools and features. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about maintaining high standards in content review, moderation, and process knowledge.
What you’ll do…
- Empower and mentor your team to thrive towards operational excellence to ensure Canva is the most trusted company for safe design.
- Mentor and manage a small team of full-time moderators and a 3rd party outsourced team through a partner firm.
- Develop and refine T&S Content Moderation enforcement guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOP) to maximise impact, such as in efficient task handling.
- Ensure Canva’s values and policies are consistently applied in the moderation of user-generated content, Canva’s content library.
- Support Canva’s public communications addressing any erosion of trust due to negative content.
- Be the T&S Operation team’s go-to for all questions related to trust and safety standards and practices across Canva.
- Play a key role with content moderation expertise in collaborating with Product, Engineering and other T&S Teams for accountability, visibility, and improvement.
- Build a deep understanding of the current content moderation process and other T&S challenges by working with Product and T&S leaders to understand existing issues and escalation points.
- Be an escalation point for all T&S incidents, appeals, and investigations including user and government reports.
- Collaborate with other content review and customer engagement teams to share strategies and best practices, and minimise redundancy.
- Become better at thinking and analyzing moderation decisions through multiple lenses and understanding the ambiguity and nuances of guidelines.
While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some Startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes
- We are looking for an advocate who will help us ensure that content made with Canva is safe by applying and improving our T&S standards and enforcement processes. We’d love to see:
- Proven experience in content moderation, content inspection, abuse management, or review, having an understanding of guidelines, enforcement and operations.
- Passion for defending users from misinformation, inauthentic behaviour, platform abuse and other abuse vectors.
- Experience crafting and/or implementing T&S or moderation enforcement guidelines, with the ability to not only define operational best practices, but build a culture of continuous improvement
- Comfortable managing and developing a team with empathy and understanding.
- An innovator who is willing to roll up their sleeves and get into the weeds.
- Ability to proactively unblock others with an improvement-focused approach.
- Highly collaborative and effective with the ability to lead by example, and influence through sensible, thoughtful communication and execution.