This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on November 4, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Ofcom is the regulator for the communications services that we use and rely on each day. We make sure people get the best from their broadband, home phone and mobile services, as well as keeping an eye on TV and radio. We also oversee the universal postal service, look after the airwaves used by wireless devices, and help to make sure people don’t get scammed and are protected from bad practices.
We have recently taken on the regulation of video-sharing platforms, and we are preparing for a role in protecting people from online harms. Protecting consumers is at the heart of what we do.
Our culture is clear – we live by our values: Empowerment; Excellence; Collaboration; Agility and Respect. The behaviours which support these values set the path for a fully inclusive and innovative culture at Ofcom. We focus not only on what we do, but how we do it. We pride ourselves on being an organisation of people who genuinely care about helping others.
The Data Innovation Hub works with colleagues across the whole organisation to improve Ofcom’s capability to process, analyse and extract insights from data. This includes developing capabilities in various aspects of machine and deep learning as Ofcom prepares for and then takes on new duties as the UK’s regulator for Online Safety.
Purpose of the Role
As a junior software engineer the successful candidate will work within the Data Innovation Hub to help deliver a programme of work that will develop and share fundamental understanding of the algorithms that underpin online services to help meet Ofcom’s Online Safety objectives. The successful candidate will use their knowledge of Software engineering techniques to deploy and monitor APIs, dashboards and machine learning model as APIs in the areas of content moderation and/or recommender systems, including underlying work in Natural language understanding or video/image processing. This will contribute to work throughout the Online Safety programme including transparency reports and platform monitoring.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues in the Data Innovation Hub, policy and operations teams to deliver innovative projects.
- Execute full software development life cycle from taking user inputs to producing requirements documents and development, deployment and monitoring.
- Deploy APIs using server side frameworks
- Deploy ML and DL models and related dashboards and UIs for areas using NLU, image and video classification, recommender systems, and content moderation systems
- Write well-designed, testable code using principals of OOP and design patterns.
- Using best coding practices to generate reproducible work in an agile way.
- Produce appropriate user requirements and software development documentation.
- Working with data engineers to source, access, manipulate and engineer data across a range of sources and data formats
- Working with frontend and deploy REST APIs and machine learning models as APIs.
- Ensuring compliance with our relevant data and information security principles
- Cloud deployment of APIs using Azure or some other cloud platform.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems, do code review and maintain git repositories
- Supporting colleagues in engagement with internal and external stakeholders on a range of deep learning and machine learning related topics.
Skills, Knowledge and experience
- Demonstratable practical experience deploying and monitor ML and DL models, preferably in one or more of the following areas:
- recommender systems
- natural language understanding
- image classification
- video classification
- multi-modal (speech, image, text) classification
- content moderation systems
- Demonstratable practical experience programming using Python, Scikit learn, Tensorflow or Pytorch
- Experience writing well-designed, testable code using principals of OOP and design patterns.
- Ability to develop APIs in Python using one of the server-side frameworks Django, Flask etc.
- Ability to work with APIs and web scraping
- Build Automated tests and unit testing to ensure quality and robustness
- Strong interpersonal skills and evidence of ability to interact effectively with a range of stakeholders to communicate technical concepts and analytical results
- Experience working Azure or some other cloud platform
- Working as part of a team and independently, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability, and supporting a culture of collaboration and trust.
- Ability to develop dashboards a plus
BSc or preferably MSc in Elec Eng, Comp Sci, Mathematics etc plus relevant experience, or relevant PhD and no further experience