This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on November 2, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Niantic’s mission is to use emerging technology to enrich our experiences as human beings in the physical world. We build products that inspire movement, exploration, and face-to-face social interaction.
Niantic is seeking a Software Engineer – Server to build the server infrastructure that supports projects such as Pokémon GO, Pikmin Bloom and Ingress. You will work on real-time indexing, querying and aggregation problems at massive scales of hundreds of millions of events per day. These technical challenges pertain to a single, coherent world-wide instance shared by millions of users.
We seek engineers with strong technical background, great execution, and self-starter mentality. The ideal candidate loves to jump into the unknown, clarify ambiguities, quickly learn from failures, and break down vague ideas into concrete tasks.
- Build and design reliable, high-throughput, low latency and scalable server and networking systems that support Niantic’s developers and products.
- Build key components of the platform that developers can incorporate to create rich experiences in their games.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Collaborate with other specialists, product managers, and other departments to ensure code meets internal standards.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience building reliable scalable platforms, 5+ years for senior level candidates.
- Proficiency in one of the following languages: Java, Go or C++ with working knowledge of Python, SQL.
- Experience building networked and distributed systems.
- Experience building concurrent and multi-threaded services.
- Delivered solutions to production environments, and provided tools to monitor, support and mitigate any issues.
- Experience with deployment on hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Experience with building ETL pipelines or crafting data-related ingestion APIs.
- Familiarity with one or more open source projects, such as Redis, Prometheus, Grafana, ElasticSearch and Envoy.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, infrastructure as code (such as Terraform)
- Experience mentoring junior engineers or leading projects.