This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on November 9, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
The Social Media Safety Program (SMSP) Manager will work closely with the Social Media Safety Program Senior Director to advance GLAAD’s advocacy efforts in the tech and social media space around improving LGBTQ social media safety, privacy, and expression and platform/app accountability. Especially in support of maintaining GLAAD’s meaningful presence and profile as the leading media advocacy organization working to secure safe online spaces for LGBTQ people (including helping to research and create the annual Social Media Safety Index as a tool for this work).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist Social Media Safety Program Senior Director with a variety of tasks and priorities related to ongoing communications and advocacy with contacts at social media platforms/apps.
- Research, monitor, and track anti-LGBTQ hate content, ads, and accounts on the platforms and work with SMSP Senior Director to utilize such data and material for reports and media outreach — towards the goal of driving improvements in LGBTQ user safety, privacy, and expression across all platforms.
- Assist with rapid response advocacy — including outreach to platforms as issues of LGBTQ safety arise, to advocate for appropriate escalations and enforcement of platform policies.
- Stay abreast of developments around LGBTQ safety on social media with SMSP Senior Director and GLAAD’s communications team as needed to develop strategic responses.
- Research and write about situations involving LGBTQ safety on social media for GLAAD’s site or GLAAD press and communication materials.
- Help SMSP Senior Director to maintain GLAAD’s Listing of Anti-LGBTQ Hate Speech, adding new entries and working to alert platforms to additions as they arise.
- Work with SMSP Senior Director to implement anti-LGBTQ mis-info/hate mitigation initiatives including strategic partnerships with other organizations in the platform accountability field.
- Represent GLAAD on coalitions with other advocacy organizations and non-profit organizations related to issues such as tech accountability and disinformation.
- Assist with additional Social Media Safety Program platform accountability research and projects as they arise.
- Serve as a GLAAD spokesperson on panels or in media interviews as needed.
- Conduct outreach to thought leaders and influencers on SMSP-related topics.
- Track successes and campaign work associated with GLAAD’s Social Media Safety Program.
- Contribute to drafting funding proposals for GLAAD’s Social Media Safety Program.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-driven, entrepreneurial environment and easily adapt to shifts in direction and changing priorities.
- Strong research and writing skills, especially on issues at the intersection of LGBTQ people and social media/tech.
- Working knowledge of social media policies related to content and ads and understanding of the broader platform accountability landscape.
- Superior organization, analytic, and logistics skills and a proven concern for detail and timely follow-through.
- Superior project management skills including the ability to manage projects under pressure with multiple and competing deadlines.
- Strong commitment and passion for GLAAD’s mission and core values.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
- This position will involve being in ongoing proximity to anti-LGBTQ hate and disinformation on social media platforms.
- GLAAD offices are located in New York and Los Angeles. This position has the ability to function either out of one of our office locations or remotely. If the candidate is not located in either location, they must be willing to travel as needed including regular all staff meetings