This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on January 12, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
What’s the role?
At Etsy, we pride ourselves in “Keeping commerce human”! Our Trust and Safety team plays an integral role in furthering this mission as we safeguard our members from unsafe and inconsistent experiences on the platform, while keeping with the ethos of our brand!
Through a combination of automated systems and manual review processes, the Content Moderation team works to keep Etsy safe by moderating content in listings, messages, and reviews. The Senior Manager, Offensive Content is responsible for building and leading a world-class team for the Offensive Content policy vertical that plays a vital role in mitigating legal, regulatory, and reputational risk that Etsy’s marketplace faces. Among other focus areas, this candidate charts the course for Marketplace Integrity leadership and sets the broader strategy – ensuring both are equipped to evolve and scale with Etsy’s growth vision.
This role will specifically focus on Offensive Content; encompassing Hateful and Violent Content, Pornography and Mature Content across several of Etsy’s surfaces (listings, reviews, messages, videos etc.). This is a largely cross functional role requiring collaboration with Product, Policy and Operations to continuously improve the problem space through robust detection and accurate enforcement.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Cultivating a deep understanding of Etsy’s content policies, and developing and implementing strategies to scale enforcement and maintain the health of the Etsy marketplace.
- Setting long-term strategy and empowering team members to deliver on that vision through daily, weekly, and monthly initiatives.
- Collaborating with Policy, Legal, Product, Engineering, and Enablement teams to spot and adapt to emerging risks and scale enforcement strategies.
- Guiding your team in effectively solving problems, removing obstacles and helping them develop as leaders.
- Optimizing resource allocation such that the team can adequately cover all high priority areas of work, building specialist expertise in sub-policy areas.
- Establishing and supporting protocols for emerging content risks, serving as a point of contact to identify and implement thoughtful, informed solutions in the best interest of Etsy in consultation with the appropriate partners.
- Supporting the coordination of listings takedowns, partnering with operations leads to ensure operational readiness for any process updates, training, and cross-functional communication.
- Regularly reporting progress and plans, providing insights to executive leadership and key collaborators, incorporating feedback into roadmap prioritization and timing.
- Supporting Content Moderation’s engagement with outsourcing partners, helping to ensure that workflows are operating efficiently and effectively.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Years of experience : 6+ total (4+ years of people leadership) in Trust & Safety, working in content moderation or policy enforcement.
- Proven track record of approaching obstacles with curiosity and the use of creative problem solving to quickly identify effective solutions.
- Extensive experience solving problems with data, Looker and/or SQL proficiency a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, adept at building and maintaining positive relationships, with the ability to influence multiple partners across various levels and teams.
- Dedication to your craft and representation of Marketplace Integrity. You consistently uplevel the conversation and propose solutions beyond your immediate area of expertise.
- Steady leadership, resilience, and sensitivity in navigating change and handling nuanced and/or potentially triggering content.
- To be successful in this role, the candidate assumes ownership and accountability for building a robust program, scoping and devising strategies for improved proactive and reactive detection & enforcement, incorporating outsourced resources, and exhibiting key competencies expected for your level.