This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on January 12, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
What’s the role?
The Senior Manager, Legal Response & Enforcement, leads the enforcement team for Etsy’s Intellectual Property Program. This role is responsible for developing and optimizing the scaled teams, process and policy that comprise this program end-to-end, including critical workstreams and metrics for anti-counterfeiting, intellectual property notices and takedowns, counter-notices and withdrawals. This role also serves as a main point of contact for cross-functional initiatives and collaboration with internal partners on Etsy’s Legal, Enablement, Product and Engineering teams, as well as with external partners such as brands and IP rights holders, third-party reporters and business process outsourcing partners.
To be successful in this role, the Senior Manager, Legal Response & Enforcement will establish Etsy’s IP Protection Program as an e-commerce industry benchmark, with impactful, measurable results driven by outstanding execution.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- Legal Response & Enforcement protects Etsy from intellectual property infringement and counterfeiting through a combination of proactive and reactive enforcement systems.
- We work closely with Legal, Product/Eng and Enablement, as well as with Outsourcing and Brand partners, to build scalable, sustainable systems and workflows that prevent infringing IP from showing up on Etsy’s website, reducing its visibility, and removing that content when reported by rights holders.
- This team also works to educate our seller community about the complexities of IP laws and rights, and what seller’s can expect from Etsy’s IP Program.
- This inclusive team values collaboration, mutual support and respect, and agility
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Setting and implementing enforcement strategy for the team, emphasizing operational excellence and risk mitigation.
- Setting and sustaining team processes, KPIs, quality metrics and documentation to meet scaled proactive anti-counterfeiting and robust reactive IP enforcement.
- Partnering with Product and Engineering teams to build and maintain systems and tooling that enable optimal team performance.
- Managing an impactful team of legal enforcement specialists and managers, engaging in regular and transparent communication in team and 1:1 settings, setting clear performance expectations, delivering fair, concrete performance feedback, and providing career development guidance and opportunities.
- Identifying and driving implementation of people, process and system efficiencies that improve day-to-day and long-term operational effectiveness as well as improving the Etsy experience for members and external IP rights holders.
- Leading on urgent problem resolution, including with Etsy outsourcing partners; making thoughtful, informed decisions in the best interest of Etsy in consultation with the appropriate partners.
- Establishing and maintaining a strong and consistent working relationship with the Legal team, partnering on policy development, workflow and tool updates, blocking issues and legal/regulatory changes.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- 3+ years people management experience with demonstrated ability working in a legal field, policy enforcement, or operations. JD or LLM preferred.
- Deep familiarity with trademark, copyright, and/or intermediary liability law strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience analyzing and solving problems with data; Looker and/or SQL proficiency a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven record of building and maintaining effective cross-functional projects and collaborations with internal and external partners.
- Adept at navigating complexity and fast-paced environments, with a proven ability to use creative problem solving to identify and implement effective solutions.