This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on November 4, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
We are seeking a seasoned manager and a resilient self-starter who thrives in driving structure in ambiguous spaces, working in fast paced environments and demonstrating strong strategic and critical thinking skills to define solutions to new problem sets. You have a passion for developing others and bring out the best in your teams. You are an influencer who will work directly with our cross-functional teams (Engineering, Product, Finance, Analytics, Member Services), as well as all of the teams within Trust & Safety, to scale global projects from inception to launch.
The Senior Director of Risk and Fraud partners with product and engineering and leads large operational teams who serve as the first line of defense against fraud on the Etsy platform. As a two sided marketplace, fraud shows up in many complex ways. You will architect and evolve fraud prevention strategies while balancing good customer experience. Etsy’s growth requires leaders who move fast, have an entrepreneurial spirit to create new solutions, have an unrelenting tenacity to get things done, and are capable of breaking down and solving complex problems. If these qualities resonate with you, this could be the perfect match!
This is a full-time position reporting to the Vice President of Trust & Safety and the base salary range will be 178,000 – 232,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the United States who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- This role will focus on financial loss from fraud across a two sided marketplace.
- Your organization includes fraud teams: Risk Operations (including Account Security/ATO), Seller Risk, Seller Standards and Abuse, and Risk and Fraud PMO.
- Responsible for running an engaged and efficient team, overseeing employee performance, implementing, managing and reporting through metrics, service level agreements and key performance indicators.
- Assist your partners across the company build successful products by highlighting marketplace risks and strategizing solutions.
- Review, recommend, and assist in the implementation of new methods, processes and procedures to make daily operations more efficient and effective.
- Develop ongoing strategies to quickly and efficiently identify and remove high risk and fraudulent sellers from the marketplace, minimizing negative impact to Etsy and our buyers.
- Set the long-term strategy and guide managers and program managers to support your vision through daily, weekly, and monthly initiatives.
- Build and cultivate an impactful internal team of 50+ people. You will also develop and oversee outsourced components of the work.
- Partner with Engineering and Analytics teams to conceptualize and refine automated detective controls crafted to identify risks, based on seller behavioral shifts and patterns.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- 8+ years of people management and a successful track record managing a large organization specializing risk and fraud departments, preferably in e-commerce
- A thoughtful, collaborative leader with strong communication skills and the ability to influence others.
- The ability to partner seamlessly with product, engineering, finance and analytics partners in furtherance of developing technical solutions to support risk detection and operational excellence.
- Incredible executive presence and clearly articulate strategies, goals and outcomes at the C-Level.
- Adaptable and resilient in nature and quickly pivot – and bring your team along for the ride – as the business landscape evolves.
- Analytical problem solver who uses complex data thoughtfully in making decisions, developing arguments, and prioritizing initiatives.
- Steady leadership, seeking to empower others when tasked with sophisticated challenges.
- Ability to maintain composure and optimism in high stress situations.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.