This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on February 19, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb’s various functions embody the company’s innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is a community built on trust, and Trust Operations is committed to enhancing trust by proactively mitigating risk on the Airbnb platform. In the Operations Management Job Family, you will be responsible for working with your team to ensure that daily analysis on risk trends is performed and results are communicated to stakeholders. Your mission is to detect risk using your unique combination of data skills and investigative skills.
You will be responsible for helping to build and execute a fraud and criminal investigation and enforcement strategy in areas involving qualitative risk expertise. We need you to deeply understand and craft operations focused strategies to make fraud more difficult on the platform. We expect you to be a technical innovator; someone who deeply understands the current motives, tools and tradecraft of the individuals and criminal groups we encounter. You should be excited by the prospect of defining new solutions and pushing the state of the art in online investigations, whether that is using external data, associated teams, or other levers. You will be a leader in the department and expected to define and execute our team strategy. You will indirectly influence a team that is bold, innovative and operations driven. You will be an effective communicator regardless of audience or medium; able to explain complex technical abuse scenarios or schemes in terms that are understandable across a varied audience. You will be a sound decision maker and able to rationalize decisions based on data, technical merit and real-world risks. You’ll use quantitative data as your primary means of investigation.
Experience and skills
- 5+ years of experience in strategic positions focused on mitigating offline and/or online risk on hybrid online/offline platforms.
- Creative and conceptual thinker who is always thinking two steps ahead in surfacing emerging risks and determining the most effective strategies, products, and techniques to mitigate them.
- Nuanced understanding of the companies risk landscape and how online platforms interact with real life bad actors in platform managed physical spaces.
- Deep understanding of Airbnb product and its fraudulent and/or criminal use-cases.
- Experience with data analysis tools and techniques. Possible relevant tools include Python, SQL or R (other tools may be relevant) and successful application of data to inform decision making and mitigating threats.
- Experience conceptualizing, drafting, and presenting tactical and strategic finished intelligence on geopolitical, cyber and/or violent actor behaviors and activities and related product exposure.
- Experience analyzing and mitigating high-impact threats and online threat actors.
- Proven track record of applying analytical/statistical methods to tackle real-world problems using big data.
- Experience working or managing projects that have org-wide impact and/or multi-organization cross functional stakeholders
- Experience working with a team spanning multiple locations/time zones
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including experience presenting data & insights to a sophisticated audience
- Strong collaboration and partner management skills, including building deep, trust-based relationships with cross-functional teams
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain holistic understanding of the risk picture in either offline risk or online fraud for Airbnb
- SME level expertise across multiple risk domains and specializations as well as mitigation measures
- Inform effective strategies to prevent or disrupt abuse at scale, and consult on mitigations accordingly
- Proactively hunt for currently undetected abuse by leveraging internal data, open-source intelligence and third party private intelligence
- Extract insights from the large volumes of data and come up with new strategies to mitigate/stop fraudulent activities.
- Perform complex data analysis on customer behavior, risk strategies and rule accuracy and performance to draw insights and propose applicable changes.
- Effectively communicate and present findings to the management and product teams to strengthen business decisions.
- Work closely with Trust product teams, including data modeling teams, to identify key strategies in mitigating emerging safety or fraud risks and taking them to the finish line.
- Manage complex investigations involving large data sets and multiple stakeholders including internal legal & policy teams and government agencies.
- Participate in project definition and idea generation, work on collaborative projects with partners across the globe with a focus on the Risk/Fraud mitigation
- Develop frameworks and methodologies for investigations that can be built into other existing areas of Trust.
- Coordinate and lead intelligence initiatives spanning multiple teams over an extended period of time.
- Participate in the shaping of new enforcement policies to mitigate emergent threats
- Aide in development of risk management policies and procedures as well as thorough Risk Frameworks for optimal decision making.
- Monitor fraud risks on an ongoing basis (on-boarding and post on-boarding) and identify ways to enhance our controls to minimise fraud risk and financial losses.
- Develop, analyse and improve the relevant risk scoring systems (Frameworks / ML Models) for optimal real time decision making.
- Contribute to both our automated monitors and alerts to keep tabs on any abnormalities in customer behavior, risk-rule efficiency and performance and also our dashboards that deliver valuable insights for enabling data-driven decision making.
- Automate risk processes, where possible, with the relevant tools to ensure scalability of all risk operations.
To apply for this job please visit careers.airbnb.com.