This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on December 2, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Freedom House is seeking a Research Associate to advance the organization’s research, advocacy, and policy work on human rights, democracy, and technology. The team member will work across Freedom House’s two flagship annual reports: Freedom in the World and Freedom on the Net. Freedom in the World assesses civil liberties and political rights in 210 countries and territories, while Freedom on the Net analyzes human rights online in 70 countries, with a particular focus on free expression, censorship, surveillance, and privacy. Responsibilities will include supporting project management and logistics, liaising with a dispersed network of external researchers, conducting data analysis, maintaining a large database in Excel, analyzing regional political developments, and fact-checking and editing country reports. This is a full-time position, based in New York City or Washington, DC.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS
- Strengthen regional and thematic expertise within Freedom House, contribute analysis to Freedom in the World and Freedom on the Net as well as other written products, and provide substantive input at internal and external meetings
- Perform substantive fact-checking, editing, rewriting, and proofreading of Freedom on the Net country reports, many of which are authored by non-native English speakers. In the process of editing, supplement the reports with own desk research
- Assist team members with project management tasks, including setting timelines, coordinating with external researchers, and moderating and organizing score review meetings
- Assist with the development and tracking of a network of regional and thematic experts to serve as new contributors, and act as a primary point of contact with external consultants based around the world
- Analyze data and prepare charts, graphics, and other support materials for publication
- Manage, including by updating and analyzing, Freedom in the World’s database of global freedom scores and indicators
- Prepare travel and event logistics for in-person review meetings, and where funding permits travel internationally to coordinate meetings and attend relevant conferences to represent FH research
- Assist with funding proposals, donor reports, and monitoring and evaluation of the project’s impact
- Process and ensure consultant contracts, payment requests, business expense reports, and other financial documents are in line with Freedom House requirements
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, journalism, human rights or a related field, plus a minimum of two years of directly related experience; or equivalent combination of advanced education and experience.
Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge of and interest in different political systems and human rights issues, including debates about democratic consolidation and strategies for countering authoritarianism.
- Grasp of important internet policy and regulatory debates, interest in technical mechanisms underpinning online censorship and surveillance, and knowledge about the ways in which the internet and technology undermine human rights, particularly as they apply to Africa or Asia
- Outstanding English writing and editing skills and a knack for drafting concise, eloquent, and media-friendly communications
- Command of Microsoft Word and demonstrated experience with data analysis and management using Excel
- Experience conducting project management and coordinating multiple tasks on a 3-12 month timeline
- A desire to develop into an internally and externally recognized expert on issues related to democracy and internet freedom
- Some experience with donor reporting, monitoring & evaluation, and financial reconciliations
- Some experience with using quantitative data and qualitative information to create infographics and other communication materials for publication
- Applicants should note in their application if they have proficiency in a language other than English
We do not expect anyone to tick every single box for this position, and if you have relevant experience not listed here, please apply and tell us about it.
Personal Attributes and Characteristics:
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in a workplace setting
- Emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills needed to communicate with and facilitate cooperation between people with divergent views and from different cultural backgrounds
- Comfort working with limited supervision on long-term tasks, finding solutions to problems as they arise, and taking responsibility for own work
- Superb attention to detail and an ability to produce error-free work on tight deadlines
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work and a desire for professional development via knowledge and skills acquisition