This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on December 2, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Freedom House is seeking a Research Associate for Technology and Democracy to advance the organization’s research, advocacy, and policy work on human rights, democracy, and technology. The team member will focus primarily on Freedom on the Net, an annual report analyzing human rights online in 70 countries. They will also provide support to other technology and democracy initiatives, including Election Watch for the Digital Age, which investigates the interplay between human rights, election integrity, and digital platforms. As needed, the team member will also contribute support to other projects under the Research and Analysis division.
Key responsibilities will include fact-checking and editing country reports, analyzing regional internet freedom developments, supporting project management and logistics, liaising with a dispersed network of external researchers, and conducting qualitative and quantitative data analysis. This is based in New York City. Qualified candidates based in Washington, DC will also be considered.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS
- Strengthen regional and thematic expertise within Freedom House, contribute analysis to Freedom on the Net and Election Watch for the Digital Age, and provide substantive input during internal and external meetings
- Perform substantive fact-checking, editing, rewriting, and proofreading of Freedom on the Net country reports for one region (likely Asia or Africa), many of which are authored by non-native English speakers; in the process of editing, supplement the reports with own desk research
- Assist with the development and tracking of a network of regional and thematic experts to serve as new contributors to technology and democracy projects, and act as a primary point of contact with external consultants based around the world
- Assist team members with project management tasks, including designing project plans, setting timelines, and evaluating project progress and processes
- Prepare travel and event logistics for in-person meetings, and where funding permits travel internationally to coordinate meetings and attend relevant conferences to represent Freedom House research
- Assist with funding proposals, donor reports, and monitoring and evaluation of technology and democracy projects’ impact
- Analyze data and prepare charts, graphics, and other support materials for publication
- Process and ensure consultant contracts, payment requests, business expense reports, and other financial documents are in line with Freedom House requirements
- Provide research, writing, and other support to other projects produced by the Research and Analysis division, as assigned
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, human rights, international law, media/journalism, public policy, or related field, plus a minimum of two years of directly related experience.
- Candidates without a bachelor’s degree but with equivalent training/experience, relevant experience, and a passion for democracy work are also encouraged to apply.
Experience and skills
- Grasp of important internet policy and regulatory debates, interest in technical mechanisms underpinning online censorship and surveillance, and knowledge about the ways in which the internet and technology undermine human rights, particularly as they apply to Africa or Asia
- Outstanding English writing and editing skills and a knack for drafting concise, eloquent, and media-friendly communications
- Applicants should note in their application if they have proficiency in a language other than English
- Experience conducting project management and coordinating multiple tasks on a 3-12 month timeline
- A desire to develop into an internally and externally recognized expert on issues related to democracy and internet freedom
- Some experience with donor reporting, monitoring & evaluation, and financial reconciliations
- Some experience with using quantitative data and qualitative information, including to manage complex Excel databases and to create infographics and other communication materials for publication
We do not expect applicants to possess every experience or skill listed for this position. If you have relevant experience not listed here, please apply and tell us about it.
Personal Attributes and Characteristics
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in a workplace setting
- Emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills needed to communicate with and facilitate cooperation between people with divergent views and from different cultural backgrounds
- Comfort working with limited supervision on long-term tasks, finding solutions to problems as they arise, and taking responsibility for own work
- Superb attention to detail, strong analytical skills, and an ability to produce error-free work on tight deadlines
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work and a desire for professional development via knowledge and skills acquisition