This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on November 13, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience in policy or legal operations
- 3 years of experience in policy, legal operations, regulatory environment, or content moderation in similar industries (e.g., technology, intellectual property).
- Ability to work on a rotating basis, including weekend shifts
- Experience in technology industry business areas such as operations and Internet/online media.
- Excellent problem solver with experience executing high-level analysis to drive strategic development.
- Knowledge of the socio-political landscape and current events in South Asia.
- Knowledge of the technology sector, its trends, and key policy issues affecting the internet (e.g., intellectual property, free expression, online safety).
- Excellent project management and communication skills, especially with cross-functional partners.
About the job
Trust & Safety team members are tasked with identifying and taking on the biggest problems that challenge the safety and integrity of our products. They use technical know-how, excellent problem-solving skills, user insights, and proactive communication to protect users and our partners from abuse across Google products like Search, Maps, Gmail, and Google Ads. On this team, you’re a big-picture thinker and strategic team-player with a passion for doing what’s right. You work globally and cross-functionally with Google engineers and product managers to identify and fight abuse and fraud cases at Google speed – with urgency. And you take pride in knowing that every day you are working hard to promote trust in Google and ensuring the highest levels of user safety.
As a Policy Specialist, you’ll join a high-functioning team operating, help shape legal removals policy at Google, be a thought leader on regional content moderation issues, and balance compliance with local law, user expression, and public interest. You’ll manage escalations from government stakeholders and users while building expertise in the areas of Internet hate speech, online cyberbullying, and human rights. You’ll collaborate with stakeholders who all work together on policy issues affecting Google and its users. Working with these cross-functional stakeholders, you’ll be responsible for developing policies for new content moderation legislation.
At Google we work hard to earn our users’ trust every day. Trust & Safety is Google’s team of abuse fighting and user trust experts working daily to make the internet a safer place. We partner with teams across Google to deliver bold solutions in abuse areas such as malware, spam and account hijacking. A diverse team of Analysts, Policy Specialists, Engineers, and Program Managers, we work to reduce risk and fight abuse across all of Google’s products, protecting our users, advertisers, and publishers across the globe in over 40 languages.
- Identify and analyze content moderation trends and key policy issues affecting the Internet.
- Analyze and drive escalations of sensitive government requests, by liaising with Product, Policy, Communications, and Legal teams. Balance various legal considerations in order to effectively resolve issues.
- Develop and launch policies for handling large volumes of requests based on different regional trends and legal issues (e.g., data protection, copyright, defamation, etc).
- Review sensitive content, and lead discussions with cross-functional stakeholders on emerging regulations and its implications on legal removal policies at Google.
- Manage priority escalations that may occur outside of non-standard work hours including weekends/holidays as required.