This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on March 23, 2023. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
We are seeking a Policy and Advocacy Manager to oversee the Content Moderation Program at Mnemonic. The successful candidate will be responsible for advocating with tech companies, facilitating and contributing to coalitions and multi-stakeholder forums on content moderation, engaging in policy advocacy with lawmakers, and conducting advocacy and research on the issue of human rights documentation and content takedowns on social media platforms.
Description of responsibilities
The Policy and Advocacy Manager will be responsible for:
- Help developing an advocacy strategy and an implementation plan for the Content Moderation program;
- Developing advocacy framework and protocoles with the support of the Executive Director;
- Building and maintaining relationships with a diverse range of partners and\ collaborators, including civil society and grassroots organizations and networks, journalists, and tech companies;
- Engaging in coalitions with international stakeholders on policy making related to content moderation;
- Contributing to ongoing discussions about open source digital evidence preservation and access mechanisms;
- Feeding into ongoing legislative discussions such as the Digital Services Act through formal and informal means, including amplification of coalition campaigns with digital rights organizations, written submissions to open consultations, public letters, and meetings with policymakers;
- Engaging with social media companies to address company policies, takedowns, access to relevant content, and access to tools to improve monitoring and preservation by CSOs,
- Organizing and coordinating meetings and debates to create opportunities for dialogue and influence of legislators, policy-makers and enforcers;
- Developing advocacy statements, letters, submissions, and other communications.
2- Content moderation research
- Reviewing data on social media content takedowns and case studies on content moderation. This include analysis of relevant laws and policies;
- Publishing policy-oriented research on the impacts of content moderation on human rights documentation, more broadly on human rights in general, in a variety of formats, and on the privacy conscious incorporation of AI/machine learning into human rights documentation workflows by civil society organizations;
- Contributing to communications work, including writing articles, blog posts and analysis, also on social media accounts, addressing both the general public and targeted audiences;
- Assigning and managing consultants to implement communication work as needed;
3- Management and fundraising:
- Identifying and building relationships with potential donors;
- Compiling and developing materials to submit to granting or other funding organizations, including final narrative reports;
- Monitoring and reporting progress of advocacy activities to the Executive Director.
- Three to five years of relevant experience in a similar role either in a professional context or in a volunteering context;
- Three to five years of relevant experience within non-profit project management;
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills;
- Familiarity with grant requirements and administration;
- Experience in public speaking;
- Friendly, enthusiastic and positive attitude;
- Experience in working with networks, as well as in small teams;
- Degree in human rights, law, public administration, or other fields relevant to our work;
- Fluency in oral and written English.