This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on December 19, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
This role leads the work and people of the new Online Safety supervision team, alongside another Supervision Director. Online Safety supervision will entail close, structured engagement with the highest-risk and highest-impact services in-scope of the Online Safety regime, alongside an approach to promote compliance across the many thousands of Online services. This industry-facing role will lead and deliver elements of our Online Safety supervision strategy and aims, in collaboration and coordination with other specialist teams in Ofcom.
This is a senior regulatory role which sits on the Online Safety Group Leadership Team and co-leads Ofcom’s approach to supervising, ensuring compliance and supporting best practice implementation of a wide portfolio of in-scope Online platforms.
- Co-lead the Supervision team in the Online Safety Group as it undergoes a critical period of expansion, ensuring that we recruit and induct talented and passionate colleagues with the right skills and capabilities to operate a world-class supervision function
- Working within the Online Safety Group plan of work, identify, shape and set the direction of the Supervision team for building appropriate industry relationships, workplans and objectives for supervised platforms
- Shape and lead the closer supervision and compliance of some of the riskier or high reach Online platforms, building productive relationships with industry’s bigger platforms
- Identifying and utilising effective tools and innovative engagement approaches to promote compliance across the entire portfolio of regulated firms (estimated 25,000). You will ensure Ofcom is able to communicate important regulatory and legal developments to in scope platforms
- Devise approaches and methods to monitor the compliance of the sector through using regulatory tools and data, such as categorisation and transparency reports to underpin plans to engage supervised platforms
- Shape the design and implementation of broader compliance programmes, systems and processes and inputting a supervision perspective into Ofcom’s regulatory outputs such as Codes of Practice and guidance
Skills & Experience:
- Excellent grasp of the Online Safety landscape and new technology development that may lead to new harms or risks for vulnerable users and / or highly credible regulatory and supervision experience, familiar with the aims of systems and process regulation
- Ability to build, develop and maintain senior relationships with the online industry
- Strong track record of leadership, with the ability to motivate and lead teams of experts
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with proven ability to influence and persuade
- Experience of leading multi-disciplinary project teams
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships; along with proven ability to gain the respect and trust of colleagues of all levels
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to explain complex arguments in a straightforward manner to a variety of audiences