This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on October 10, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener – because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Security Operations Team
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Security Operations Team keeps a watchful eye over every aspect of it. Every day, we go to battle against some of the most sophisticated attackers in the world to protect billions of dollars worth of digital assets and ensure that our customers and employees can enjoy a safe, trusted experience. As Coinbase scales globally, our team is scaling along with it, using a blend of tooling, automation, and strategic team growth to ensure that we’re well-equipped to protect the next billion users of crypto.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
The Security Operations group is a multi-functional organization that includes Trust & Safety, CSIRT, Threat Intelligence and Insider Threat. While no two days will end up looking the same, as the operations manager within the Trust & Safety team generally-speaking you’ll be responsible for the following things:
- Manage a team of individual contributors who respond to our security ticket queues, evaluate and label account takeovers, proactively detect scams, and jump in to assist the investigation of user security threats.
- Own Coinbase’s Brand protection program end to end.
- Ensure day-to-day operations run smoothly and define the strategy to scale the ops function to match the growth of the company
- Set clear targets and objectives, and establish KPIs for each core ops workflow
- Step in to directly support complex account takeover, phishing, and scam cases
- Identify and recommend ways to improve team performance through automation, tooling, rule, process, or policy changes
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
Some security teams have strict requirements about certifications, degrees, years of experience, and things like that. Not us! We’re more interested in the unique perspectives and expertise you’ll bring to the team rather than the acronyms on your resume. However, you’ll be much more likely to be successful in this role if these points seem like a good description of you:
- Relevant experience with increasing responsibility within a Trust & Safety or integrity team, 2+ years directly managing a Trust & Safety team
- You’re at heart an operator and are comfortable building and managing processes, clearly communicating to XFN teams, and when needed getting your hands dirty to move a project along.
- You’re comfortable doing data analysis (e.g., SQL, MySQL, MapReduce) to help drive decision making
- You’ve been doing practical security things (detection and response, phishkit/malware analysis, security research, etc) for a bit now, probably in the realm of 2+ years
- You enjoy finding elegant solutions to tricky problems, the trickier the problem the more fun you have solving it
- You frequently get praise from your peers and coworkers about your communication skills, both written and verbal
- You can translate complex findings and results into a concise and compelling narrative
Nice to haves:
- You would bring a diverse perspective to the team: for example, maybe you took an unconventional route to get into your current Trust and Safety career
- You’ve got a passing familiarity with blockchains and cryptocurrency, or at least a good story about how you thought about investing in Bitcoin in 2014 but decided not to
- You’ve worked on or have thought deeply about Internet-based risk, abuse, fraud, data protection or security