This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on November 15, 2021. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Capital G, Andreessen Horowitz, and Y Combinator. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser passionate about crafting an outstanding software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce. We’re building the future of ecommerce; an interactive community where creators can make a living off their passion.
Did we mention we’re high growth? We’ve 10x’d the company in 6 months! In January, Whatnot was 10 people. Today, our team is approaching 100 and will exceed 120 by year end. We’re hiring forward thinking problem solvers across all functional areas. We recruit thoughtfully, can adapt quickly, and are scaling fully remotely.
📈 Opportunity Size
The ecommerce experience has been static for 20+ years and is perhaps the largest opportunity in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is a $170B GMV market in China and has grown 100% YoY. Retail is a $5T market opportunity!
⚙️About the Operations Team
The Operations Team is responsible for making all the trains run on time. We deliver extraordinary support to our sellers and buyers, ensure the trust & safety of the platform, enhance Whatnot’s human capital and adeptly lead the Company’s financial resources.
About the Role
Whatnot is hiring an experienced Head of Global Trust & Safety to build out an outstanding team that crafts clear policies and expectations for the Whatnot community, ensures consistent and fair enforcement of our standards, and builds trust between Whatnot and its community of diverse buyers and sellers.
You will be directly responsible for making Whatnot a safe place for anyone to turn their passion into a business, enabling creators to express themselves, encouraging diversity on the platform, and enhancing our brand. You will lead the development and enhancement of policies that help shape the expectations and behavior of our community. You will be called upon to make tough decisions in novel situations, and to deliver recommendations under tight time pressure, often among senior executives and internal experts with competing viewpoints. You will report to the VP, Operations & Finance and work closely with other functional leaders to ensure we are building the best experience for Whatnot’s customers.
💻 The Role
- Deliver on the vision for being a fun, safe and inclusive community
- Assess and adopt standard methodologies that address risks, trust, and safety
- Drive the conceptualization and implementation of Whatnot’s Trust & Safety strategy, systems, and processes
- Partner with cross-functional teams to measure risk and develop guidelines
- Develop and scale internal enforcement operations including moderation, escalation, feedback, fraud monitoring, and legal compliance
- Influence product teams to build and improve detection, analytics, and internal moderation tools
- Act as point of contact for escalations that impact Whatnot’s community
- Lead, develop, and ensure the safety and wellness of our Investigations team, Fraud team, and community moderators
- Build and own long-term strategy and initiatives that benefit Whatnot buyers and sellers
- 10+ years of leadership in policy development and content moderation operations
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving ability necessary to analyze regulatory requirements, product limitations and data
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; a talent for advocacy
- Sound business judgment, strategic and analytical capabilities, including using data to drive strategy and business action
- Proven leadership skills, adept at communication, collaboration, and persuasion
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems using data and process improvement
- Able to move remarkably fast with little structure, guidance
🙏 Nice to Have
- Experience working on a marketplace or a two-sided platform.
- Experience buying and selling in online marketplaces communities.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.