This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on December 9, 2021. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Eventbrite is an industry-leading self-service event management platform. We care deeply about our industry, and the needs of our creators and consumers in both their live event experiences and as well as their overall experience as members of society. We believe demonstrating our commitment to both of these experiences is essential to a trusted partnership with our event creators and their attendees. As the regulatory environment for marketplaces evolve, it’s crucial we advocate for fair and equitable policies. Our challenge includes ensuring that this advocacy is representative of all our stakeholders and geos, clearly defined by our priorities, and understood by the right audiences at the right time.
The Public Policy and Government Affairs function is charged with advocacy that advances Eventbrite’s business objectives and enhances our customers’ success in offering and attending live experiences. We also engage in policy initiatives that advance our company’s social impact and DEI priorities. Finally, we see a unique opportunity to bring our community of creators and consumers together to advocate collectively on issues affecting their interests more broadly. Our team is part of the larger Policy & Platform Operations (PPO) organization, which serves a critical role in allowing our users to experience Eventbrite in a way that fosters trust, safety, diversity, and inclusiveness, while also internally managing certain legal and compliance risks.
This Director level position is responsible for setting our global advocacy agenda balancing our highest regulatory priorities within our active markets alongside advocacy representative of Eventbrite’s culture. Best case scenario this individual is located in the Bay Area or DC. This individual will start with support from a shared program manager, and will be adding 1 or 2 already designated roles during 2022. We anticipate the team will grow over the coming years. This role will shape the structure for the function and manage and develop the individuals on the team. The ideal candidate is a proven leader and problem-solver with exceptional experience in priorities-driven advocacy and government relations, community-based mobilization, and partnerships. This individual should be a strong writer and communicator, and excel in cross-functional interactions at all levels of the company, including executive-level staff. This individual should also be well-versed in operational and financial planning to ensure the team understands its annual goals and objectives, and secures the necessary financial and personnel resources to meet those objectives.
- Develop Eventbrite’s policy priorities and efficiently direct available resources to advance Eventbrite’s strategic objectives, corporate values, and the success of our creator and consumer communities.
- Proactively and consistently communicate, partner and align with internal stakeholders and partners such as Product, Communications, Marketing, Legal, Operations, and others.
- Create awareness of public policy initiatives through timely organizational updates from within PPO and at the greater company level, including through highlighting the great work of your team members.
- Lead as the subject matter expert visible to the organization explaining certain policy/regulatory protocols and decisions in internal meetings and forums as appropriate.
- Stay informed on industry trends — seeking out peer groups at similar organizations to benchmark our program and public policy approach, as well as, where applicable seek alignment and support in overlapping goals and objectives.
- Create a 3-year strategic vision for public policy and government affairs ensuring alignment with Eventbrite’s 3-year strategy.
- Identify opportunities within or alongside the product to highlight public policy initiatives through a lens of improving user trust, or amplifying the user experience with Eventbrite.
- Proactively identify and evaluate future regulatory risks to our global platform and collaborate with cross-functional partners on solutions to help mitigate them.
- Develop and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with cross-functional partners.
- Support the communication of public policy efforts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead an engaged team through the facilitation of team-wide activities, find opportunities for your team members to connect more broadly with Eventbrite, and assess and react to engagement survey responses accordingly.
THE SKILL SET
- Proven ability to build and manage high performing teams including:
- setting a vision and strategy to drive the team forward staying focused on delivering results critical to business success
- Managing to a budget incorporating both human resources, peer group affiliations, L&D for the team, and activities and opportunities to build engagement and culture
- Strong analytical skills, including policy proposals and complex legislative text in order to apply to Eventbrite’s unique business risks and assess opportunities.
- A keen sense of which external support partner (trade association, lobbying firm, peer coalition) would be most effective in which situation, and management of external support partners to maximize the efficiency and impact of the team.
- Ability to lead and influence in a matrixed environment, foster collaboration, value other’s perspectives, and develop support and buy-in for proposals and initiatives.
- Outstanding leadership and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and influence at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to inform decisions with metrics and data.
- 8+ years of experience in Public Policy, Public Affairs, or Community Marketing, with at least 4 years experience inPublic Policy.
- 3+ years of management and leadership roles.
- Proven track record of team goal setting and consistent performance management.
- Strong judgment and ability to thoughtfully evaluate trade-offs and make difficult decisions.
- JD or Master’s degree in Public Policy
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Experience managing a mix of consultants, employees or contractors
- An affinity for frameworks
- Experience handling a public policy portfolio at a technology company and/or for-profit corporation
- Active Eventbrite user with a passion for live events
- A sense of humor
To apply for this job please visit www.eventbritecareers.com.