This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on September 5, 2023. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
Joining the Oversight Board Administration is a chance to be part of an organization which is leading on some of the most prominent and challenging issues facing the tech industry and society.
The Case Screening Team plays crucial role in the Oversight Board project, managing the process by which the Board’s Case Selection Committee chooses the most important and impactful cases for close review from among the hundreds of thousands of Facebook and Instagram user appeals received annually. The team also curates research to inform this Committee’s decisions and the Board’s efforts at large. Furthermore, the team’s officers work closely with Board Members in drafting Summary Decisions for publication. The Deputy Head of Case Screening supports the Head of Case Screening in overseeing this work and managing the top-notch, global team that conducts it.
The deputy will also collaborate with other organizational leaders to ensure the success of the broader Content Policy & Review Team through the full life cycle of case operations. They will contribute to the general strategy of the Oversight Board Administration as an innovative new mechanism for promoting transparency, accountability and respect for human rights in online platform policy.
The post holder will be relied on to use their expertise in the practicalities of platform policy, freedom of expression and international humanitarian law to rigorously prioritize the best advice for the Board. Writing excellent, succinct executive briefings is a frequent task. The deputy will also need to speak effectively on calls and in person to Board Members, leadership, and the public.
The post holder will be trusted to independently identify and solve problems. They will run key cross-functional projects and decision-making processes. Issues at the Board are typically complex, with varied opinions and desired outcomes. Therefore, the successful Deputy will be adept at formulating solutions which are both very practical and thoughtful in nuance. A flexible, iterative mindset is required to adapt to fast-moving requirements and occasionally tight deadlines.
Most importantly, while juggling these responsibilities, the post holder must keep in mind real-world impact on social media users around the world and exhibit the Oversight Board’s values in daily decision-making.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assists the Head of Case Screening in the team’s officers — organizing delegation of work, ensuring wellbeing, and supporting career growth. Line management may be required.
- Independently leads key projects for the Case Screening Team and Content Policy and Review Team, to create positive results for the Administration Staff, Board Members, and social media users around the world
- Serves as a point of escalation for important decisions, standing in for the Head of Case Screening as necessary.
- Manage multiple internal Oversight Board processes to ensure efficiency and fairness.
- Directly assists Board Members with briefings, drafting of documents, and preparation for meetings or conferences.
- Participate in working groups on working policies, budget, and other management matters for the Oversight Board Administration.
- Oversee research and writing efforts for internal and public consumption.
- Speak publicly on the Board’s work, including with stakeholders around the world.
This role may be based in the Administration’s location of Washington, DC, San Francisco, CA, or London.
Skills & Experience
- Advanced degree educated or equivalent experience. Preferably with some specialisation in international human rights, law, technology, journalism, or related fields.
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience as a manager, or senior contributor to management tasks such as hiring, onboarding, training, feedback, and quarterly planning.
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English are required. Knowledge of multiple languages is preferable.
- Mastery of the issues in content moderation “at scale”, ideally including experience working with a social media or similar platform.
- Deep understanding of international humanitarian law, regional human rights trends, and a range of global cultural dynamics.
- Excellence in briefing executives on complex and sensitive subjects: in writing, online calls, and in-person meetings.
- Demonstrated skills in managing multi-faceted, cross-functional projects including elements of law, policy, technology, communications, and operations.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to organizational strategy, connecting the big picture to day-to-day work.
- Experience building strong stakeholder relationships.
- Experience working in multiple countries and/or diverse multinational workplaces. Experience working in remote environments across time zones is a preferable.
To apply for this job please visit oversightboard.bamboohr.com.