Website freedomhouse Freedom House
This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on December 2, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
The Deputy Director of Policy and Advocacy for Technology and Democracy will play a leading role in crafting Freedom House’s policy agenda and advocacy strategy for human rights in the digital age.
Working in close coordination with our in-house technology and democracy experts, the Deputy Director will play a key role in determining Freedom House’s policy agenda, partner on the crafting of an advocacy strategy to advance that agenda and coordinate the implementation of the advocacy strategy. The primary advocacy focus for this position is the US government, with additional multistakeholder and international advocacy as relevant in accordance with the advocacy strategy. A key component of the strategy will include advocating for policies and legislation that protect and strengthen freedom of expression online.
This role requires detailed knowledge of one or more policy topics related to fostering a diverse and reliable online information ecosystem, such as platform regulation, intermediary liability, or algorithmic accountability.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS
- Leading development of policy agenda and positions and a related advocacy strategy for technology and democracy. This includes determining which US and foreign government officials to meet with, which advocacy materials to produce, how to promote existing publications, and how to move existing policy recommendations forward.
- Authoring policy recommendations, policy briefs, congressional testimony, op-eds, press releases, talking points, and other advocacy materials as necessary, in close coordination with research colleagues focused on technology and democracy.
- Monitoring US legislative and policy developments and key international developments related to technology and democracy to keep colleagues informed and recommend policy positions and advocacy interventions.
- Organizing and leading meetings and roundtables on key policy issues with subject matter experts, civil society partners, industry, and others to assess challenges to human rights online and identify effective ways to counter the harms the internet exacerbates.
- Leading the preparation of Freedom House staff and internet freedom activists for meetings, hearings, briefings, press interviews, or speaking engagements related to technology and democracy, and representing Freedom House at such engagements as needed.
- Leading the creation of talking points, briefing memos, letters, press releases, and other written products as relevant.
- Reviewing and recommending whether Freedom House should sign on to advocacy and coalition letters with partner organizations and other stakeholders around these issues. In addition, identifying and overseeing opportunities for Freedom House to draft and lead on coalition letters.
- Working with colleagues to determine creative methods of dissemination of research and program findings, and helping organize and participate in briefings related to technology and democracy.
- Assisting with inputs for funding proposals for Freedom House’s work on technology and democracy.
- Bachelor’s degree in technology and democracy, human rights, international affairs, political science, or a related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous employment in the US Senate, US House, US Department of State, USAID, White House, or similar, required, with at least 12 years of directly relevant experience, including hands-on policy or advocacy experience and the ability to demonstrate success at moving legislation or policy agendas.
- Knowledge of or experience with the Federal Trade Commission and/or Federal Communications Commission a plus.
- Demonstrated eagerness to grapple with complicated policy questions.
- Broad understanding of issues related to technology and democracy, and detailed knowledge of topics related to fostering a diverse and reliable online information ecosystem, such as platform regulation, intermediary liability, or algorithmic accountability.
- Some familiarity with policy debates surrounding data protection, government surveillance, and cross-border data flows is desirable.
- Proven ability to research, analyze, and report on policy issues, including demonstrated experience drafting legislation, policy memos, and other written products relevant to policy and advocacy work.
- Proven ability to build consensus amongst a variety of diverse stakeholders.
- Track record of strategic leadership.
- Familiarity with social media for advocacy.
- Familiarity with the MS Office suite of applications.
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- Familiarity with task management software a plus.
Personal Attributes and Characteristics
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multitask to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to assess and recommend policy positions based on Freedom House’s lens toward bipartisan, pragmatic solutions.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and exhibits unquestionable integrity, honesty, and forthrightness.
- Must be able to successfully work collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, external partners, and funders, and be able to translate complex financial issues into easily understood concepts.
- Strong work ethic and desire for personal and professional development. Demonstrates a strong desire for personal excellence and can inspire others to achieve as well. Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Deeply committed to nonpartisanship, exhibiting a strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House.
- Committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where all feel that they belong.
- Works as an effective team member, successfully balancing individual and team responsibilities.
To apply for this job please visit phe.tbe.taleo.net.