Website Oversight Board
This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on July 3, 2022. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
About the Oversight Board
The Oversight Board makes binding and independent decisions about the most challenging content issues on Facebook and Instagram. Members of the Board include Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark, Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Michael McConnell, Director of Stanford’s Constitutional Law Center, and may other diverse leaders and thinkers from around the world. The Board issued its first decisions in January 2021.
The Oversight Board Administration is the team of full-time staff who supports Board Members in carrying out their duties. The Administration has a presence in London, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., and operates with a global scope.
You can learn more about the Board at www.oversightboard.com.
Role and responsibilities
Joining the Oversight Board Administration is a chance to be part of an organization which is leading on some of the most challenging issues facing the tech industry and society.
Under the supervision of the Head of Data & Implementation, you will play a critical role across the Content Teams and will leverage available data to help increase the Board’s impact. You will contribute to the team’s efforts to design, drive and maintain a data-driven framework aimed at tracking, measuring, and analysing how Meta implements the Board’s decisions and policy recommendations; the impact of those decisions on users, communities, and the social media ecosystem globally; and ways to optimize Content Team processes.
You will be working with the Cases and Policy team to advise the Board on its policy recommendations and help make them more easily implementable by Meta integrity teams, content moderators and automated systems, and thereby, enhance the Board’s impact over time. As a Data & Implementation Officer, you will also play a key and collaborative role across all Content Team departments by leveraging data to foster cross-functional collaboration and processes improvements. This will include contributing to Content Team project management, planning, and strategy development.
This role will preferably be based in London, with possibility for location in San Francisco or Washington D.C. Oversight Board offers flexible hybrid remote working.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Develop key work products, including analyses and project plans, for the Data & Implementation team. This team monitors Meta’s implementation of Oversight Board decisions and policy recommendations, and assesses their wider impact on users and communities worldwide through data-driven analysis.
- Independently own and manage relationships with key stakeholders.
- Independently identify the need for and develop materials and reports for the Oversight Board Case Decisions Implementation Working Group in order to obtain buy-in on processes and communicate results.
- Present complex data in a simple fashion to counsel Board Member panels on their policy recommendations with the goal of making them more impactful and easily implementable by Meta.
- Draft impact assessments (which are prepared once cases are assigned, and then reviewed again before decisions are finalized). Collaborate with all Content teams to foster cross-functionality and ensure consistent design and process across the Content organization.
- Advance Content Team project management, planning, and strategy development to move team goals forward.
Skills and Experience
The Oversight Board Administration values diversity of experience. Candidates should have a strong combination of several of the following skills, competencies and experience:
- Degree educated, preferably with at least some specialization or strong interest in data science, content moderation, human rights, media, and/or related fields;
- Experience in trust & safety operations, preferably including experience implementing and enforcing across a broad spectrum of policies;
- Experience in content moderation research and analysis;
- Experience in data science/analysis, recommending action using data-driven insights and presenting complex data to high level decision-makers;
- A passion for transparency and accountability of social media companies, including a detailed knowledge of the impact of social media on society and international discussions on approaches to regulating online expression;
- Strong project management experience;
- Previous work advising and supporting deliberations by principal-level decision-makers;
- Effective at influencing stakeholders and colleagues to achieve optimum results and outcomes;
- Highly developed critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills;
- Comfort working across multiple geographies, time zones, and cultures (knowledge of multiple languages is highly desirable);
- Strong team player with a flexible mindset and ability to work in a fast-moving environment;
- Strong written and oral communications skills.