This content was reproduced from the employer’s website on April 23, 2023. Please visit their website below for the most up-to-date information about this position.
The Berkman Klein Center (BKC) for Internet & Society at Harvard University seeks an energetic and astute Communications Coordinator to play a crucial role in facilitating the systems, norms, and processes that support the Center’s engagement work with a broad range of audiences – with a dual focus on managing digital content to facilitate visibility and engagement, and administrative and project management coordination. This role will provide thoughtful content and project management support to the Communications team’s tasks of translating and amplifying the work of the Center.
As Communications Coordinator, you will:
- Manage the Communication team’s daily project management needs in Asana, Outlook, and Notion, ensuring that BKC project teams and community scholars have clear benchmarks for copy and asset delivery, and inputs to ongoing Communications projects; work with Director to build pipeline and approval flows in Asana
- Manage content for BKC’s social media accounts including Mastodon, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter, generating original daily content and monitoring engagement
- In collaboration with RAs, ensure up-to-date copy for website; weekly newsletter; Center news announcements; and related email campaigns
- Field inbound inquiries from journalists and connect them with appropriate experts in the BKC community, escalating requests to Director as needed; build and maintain a press list and a topical BKC community expert directory; work with Director to track, log, and amplify press mentions appropriately
- Manage team calendar in Asana and Outlook and keep rolling meeting agendas, ensuring well-organized meetings between Communications team and collaborators
- Review and monitor the Center’s weekly event schedule to identify opportunities for narrative or visual coverage; attend events or assign coverage accordingly
Five or more years of related experience. Education beyond high school may count towards experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
We are looking for people who have:
- Experience managing and producing compelling written and visual content for digital platforms––including Twitter, MailChimp, Medium––that corresponds in creative and timely ways to the news cycle
- Experience working independently to track news cycles, target audiences, and adapt content to changes in digital platforms
- A general understanding of themes in emerging technology and its portrayal in news media
- Excellent writing skills for communicating in a clear, professional manner via email
- Keen editorial planning, project management, and virtual interpersonal communication skills; experience with Asana and Slack collaborative environments preferred
- Experience with managing content on a CMS such as Drupal is a plus
- Ability to independently problem-solve and set deadlines with a large group of scholars, researchers, teachers, and activists in customized ways that grow their storytelling impact
- Sound judgment, exceptional ethical standards, discretion, and tact in independent and team environments, both online and offline